Career Pathways Initiative
Preparing students for their careers from the start of enrollment to beyond graduation.
The Benedict College Career Pathways Initiative helps our students prepare for their careers from the start of enrollment and beyond graduation.
The Career Pathways Initiative enhances students’ personal and professional growth and development through their matriculation and into their career field of choice by the plethora of care services that are afforded to students and by establishing business and community partnerships for the college.
Useful Career Resources for Students
Instructions for setting an appointment through Purple Briefcase
Need assistance with your career options? Whether you want your resume critiqued or you need direction on where to look for jobs and internships. We are here to assist. Make an appointment with your Career Counselor:
How to make an appointment in Purple Briefcase with the Career Counselor:
- Sign in to your Benedict College Purple Briefcase account
- Click the Career Expert Tab in your Purple Briefcase Menu
- Send a note to your counselor by clicking the @ symbol or make an appointment by clicking on the Calendar icon
- Career Pathway Courses
- Career Advice for College Students Navigating the New Normal
- Career strategies for freshmen and sophomores
- Internship Prep
- Resume Template for Sophmores
- Internship Opportunities
- Employer Hiring Plans Jump for Class of 2022 Graduates
- Resume Template for Juniors
- Internship Opportunities
- Grad & Professional School Opportunities
- Employment Opportunities
- Resume Template for Seniors
- Career Clearance Form
- A Year After a Jobs Bust, College Students Find a Boom
The Career Development Center offers individualized career counseling assistance and career readiness workshops to include:
- Resume Development
- Elevator Pitch
- Interview Skills
- Job Search Techniques
- Career Counseling by appointment
- Career Exploration Sessions
- Career Assessments
- and more…
Careers Management Tool – Benedict College Purple Briefcase
Search for jobs and internships with our hands-on career tool Purple Briefcase. Designed to connect students with employers and employers to students. You can discover employers and organizations that have posted positions and want to hire you, watch videos to get ready for employment, sign-up for career events and activities, and make appointments with your career counselor on this modern career platform.
What can I do with my major?
Check out this career exploration tool to help research and determine which employer industry is the right fit for your major.
Research jobs and occupations from all around the world with this tool to learn about salaries, wages, job requirements, and duties. Even search for open positions in your related field of study by location.
The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) developed a definition of Career Readiness through a task force of college career services and HR/staffing professionals. NACE defines career readiness as “the attainment and demonstration of requisite competencies that broadly prepare college graduates for a successful transition into the workplace.” The eight NACE competencies, listed below, illuminate the 21st-century skills students should possess in order to be career-ready.
8 Career Competencies that Employers want in a job candidate:
- Career & Self Development
- Critical Thinking
- Equity & Inclusion
Employers Looking to Hire Benedict College Students
Annually, local and national organizations from business and industry, government, education (school systems, graduate and professional schools) and nonprofit agencies visit the campus in search of top talent who will become industry leaders in a 21st Century workforce.
Employers are vital stakeholders and instrumental in our Career Pathways effort.
If interested, please do not hesitate to connect with #TheBestofBC!
- on-campus recruitment of qualified students;
- classroom informational sessions in where businesses speak directly to talent to share company opportunities with targeted majors;
- serve as guest lecturers in courses to impart expertise and knowledge on relevant topics;
- register as members in the Purple Briefcase Career Management System to directly post jobs and internships, and
- search student profiles;
- participate in campus career fairs; and
- host career field studies for students and faculty at the companies physical location.
- Address: 2601 Read Street, Columbia SC 29204
- Phone: 803-705-4726
- E-Mail: CareerPathwaysInitiativeandService-LearningProgram@my.benedict.edu
Benedict Faculty Looking to Engage Students in Career Development
Benedict faculty can help students in their career pathway by hosting guest lecturers, from a variety of career fields, in their classrooms.
- Host a Guest Lecturer
- Schedule a Career Field Study
- Request a Professional Development Session
- Contact our office
- Guest lectures provide an opportunity to supplement instruction and extend learning for students.
- Guest lecturers bring topic related expertise and offer real-world, firsthand experience that may help contextualize theoretical pedagogy that students are learning in courses.
- Opportunities for students to engage with industry experts exposes them to a variety of career fields and workforce options.
Benedict Alumni Looking to Engage Students in Career Development
Benedict alumni can help current students in their career pathway thru mentorship, advice, expertise, and connections.
- Volunteer to be a Guest Lecturer
- Become a Mentor
- Provide Career Field Study Opportunities
- Conduct a Professional Development Session
- Shared experiences
- Part of #TheBestofBC family
- Leaving legacy
- Assist students with school-to-career transition
- Step 1 – review our list of services to identify where you may be most willing to serve. Your mentoring, advice, expertise, and connections can be the experience that propels a current student to realize their post-secondary aspirations and ascertain their career dreams. We need your help!
- Step 2 – Contact our office